Where WRS store syslog?

Hi all,
i’m unable to find the path where the WRS store the syslog to open it and check errors, warnings, etc.
Tank you Very much.

Regards.

Hi Francesco,

It depends on your configuration. You have to check dot-config. If you use local dot-config you can find it in /wr/etc/dot-config on a switch.
You can configure WRS to store logs locally or pass them to a remote server. For more details please refer to the section 3.4 “Configuration Items that Apply at Run Time” of White Rabbit Switch: User’s Manual [1].
Please check CONFIG_REMOTE_SYSLOG_* and CONFIG_WRS_LOG_* items.

BR,
Adam Wujek

[1] - https://www.ohwr.org/project/wr-switch-sw/uploads/4f4a86d75f91b5e1de5bac32ef4fcea2/wrs-user-manual-v5.0.1.pdf

Hello Adam,
thank you very much.
I have the following configuration in my dot-config:
CONFIG_REMOTE_SYSLOG_SERVER=""
CONFIG_REMOTE_SYSLOG_UDP=y
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_HAL=“daemon.info”
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_LEVEL_HAL=""
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_RTU=“daemon.info”
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_LEVEL_RTU=""
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_PTP=“daemon.info”
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_LEVEL_PTP=""
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_SNMPD=“Swd”
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_MONIT=“syslog”
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_OTHER=“daemon.info”
CONFIG_WRS_LOG_LEVEL_OTHER=""

but i’m unable to find syslog file or daemon.info file. Am i wrong? Is there a default path where are stored?

Tnx

If you set these items to “daemon.info”, then they will be passed to a syslog. In that case you have to specify remote syslog server. If you would like to store logs to a file replace “daemon.info” with a file path, like “/tmp/hal.log”.

Another way would be to modify a file “/etc/rsyslog.conf” on a switch in a way that logs are stored in a local file-system. If I remember correctly add “*.* /tmp/syslog.log” at the end of “/etc/rsyslog.conf” then restart syslog by /etc/init.d/syslogd restart. Please note that the change will disappear after a reboot. To make the change permanent add the same line into a file “/wr/etc/rsyslog.conf.in” and reboot a switch.

Adam